By Peer Mentor: Yasmeen Kelly
If you did not do as well as you wanted to on your first midterm there is no need to panic. There are several ways you can bounce back and still end up with a good grade in the class.
- Go to office hours/tutoring
- If you find that you did not do so well on your first midterm, take it to office hours or tutoring and go over the material you got wrong. It is important that you review and understand this material because most likely it will come up again on the final.
- Also your professor can help you figure out where you might have went wrong with the exam. Questions to ask yourself: Did you read the question wrong? Did you pick the right answer at first then change it last minute? Did you run out of time, or did you finish early and go over it thoroughly before handing it in? Did you just simply not know the material meaning did you study as much as you could have? Your professors and TAs can assist you with any of these problems so that with the next midterm you are better prepared.
- Prepare for your second midterm
- If the first one did not go so well, you still have another chance to do well with the second midterm. Take the time to really prepare yourself so that you can bounce back from the first one. Don’t start studying a day or two day before your midterm. Try to plan out times to study a week in advance so that you aren’t cramming the last minute.
- Make sure you are completing any in between assignments such as group projects, online homework, etc. These points really do add up and it can bring your grade up after not doing great on a midterm.
- The final exam
- If the first and even the second midterm did not go as planned, there is still a chance you could pass the class with the final. However, this is only going to be successful if you put in the time and effort to review the previous material from the recent midterms. The final is typically cumulative and unless you study, the final exam grade will just end up reflecting the midterm you didn’t do so well on. The final exam is worth more than the midterms so getting a good grade on this could really improve your overall grade.
It isn’t always about how you start, but how you finish. If you don’t do well on the first midterm, you have to take the necessary steps to make sure you do better on the second one. As long as you continue to show improvement, you will be able to pass the class.